Just like other system, Wireless network need to be secure. There are lot of tools (simple or complex ) to verify the leak of Wireless network and protect it. Simple safety measure that you can take to prevent from lot of trouble.
People (mostly bad people) can do anything when they can/have access to your network. Lot of people to whom I helped, they were victim of stolen bandwidth… As their Wireless is not secure/ weak password, people who gain the access use victim network to download large file, torrent, movies, etc. In the end, the victim have to pay extra money to ISP. Worst scenario, was the hacker gain access to the network and steal/destroy personal information’s 🙁 and can also use your network to attack others networks.
Here are some few steps that you can take avoid this type of experience
1. Change the default wireless network password. (In your router configuration)
2. Do not use simple password… try to make it complex (ex : ItS3cureNeet.1)
2. Always use WPA2 encryption for wireless security password option. Unless, your device (Printer, TV, Console, etc do not support) Try WPA encryption…
3. Time to time change your Wireless password
4. If you suspect that someone know your password, change it immediately
5. Disable SSID (Wireless network name) broadcast on your router
6. Most of router, you can see the list of device connected to your network…make sure that you know all of them…
7. Use MAC Address filter to give access device that you know/want
Many other solutions are possible.. Share with us if you have any other method.